CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 7, 2010

Thoughts about Mother's Day

I must be getting OLD. Mother's Day brings up thoughts much deeper than flowers and chocolates and Sunday Brunch. (Although...I would LOVE to be going to Sunday Brunch in Manchester with my mom again this year!)

My mom is so absolutely WONDERFUL! I think the world of her. She is the kind of person everyone wants to be around all the time. As a family, I think I can safely say, our world revolved around Mom....and for some, it still does to an extent! I think it speaks volumes about my mom that I still feel incredibly close to her even though we have lived 1,000 miles apart for almost 14 years now. (When I left, it was supposed to be for 2 years - ugh!) I would love to be back so much closer to my mom...to my whole family. Something to keep praying about!

As a kid, I just kinda assumed all moms were wonderful and loving and full of life. I slowly realized this was not true for all kids...and that is really sad. I also thought my mom was near perfect and I slowly realized that was not true....but it only endeared her to me even more. As a mom now myself, I am SO GLAD she was not perfect!!! I have to wonder if she felt like an inadequate mom? If she did, I never knew it. I take consolation in the fact that she probably DID feel that way at times - she probably felt overwhelmed with 5 kids - and she was still a FANTASTIC, out-of-this-world, amazingly loving mom!

I suspect "Mother" is the hardest job God created. It is very task-oriented AND heart-consuming. It is 24/7 from Day One until the day you die. But...it simply MUST be the most rewarding, too.

This Mother's Day, I want to examine my heart to see if I am honoring God in the way I am mothering the children He has generously blessed me with - AND - ponder whether or not He is really and truly drawing me toward mothering certain children who have not come into this world through me. Big thoughts!

On a lighter note, I found a perfect gift idea for MY mom this year that I am hoping to throw together and mail TODAY! (I know it will be late....but....) My mom gave me her set of china...the stuff she got when they got married back in 1962. Some of it is chipped or broken, but much of it is still intact. I use it on occasion, but it is rather delicate. The craft idea I am so jazzed about is: Teacup Bird Bath/Feeders! All you have to do is attach the cup to the saucer with waterproof adhesive and attach a copper cap to the bottom of the saucer. The cap should slip easily over a copper pipe inserted into the ground. Can't wait to try it! I will send it with a little sachet of bird food - just because! Maybe I will make one or two for my OWN bohemian perennial garden....

1 comments:

Traci Weldie said...

Cute idea! I have seen these before around, but never thought about making one myself. Thanks for the inspiration..now, if I could suddently morph into someone crafty.... :)

Post a Comment